Date: Fri, 23 Dec 2005 23:29:08 -0800 (PST)
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [LIB] u100 battery life engineering problem

hi raymond

first off I know about the high currect discharge pattern of li-poly, it
is like a baby brother to the lead acid discharge. they are supposedly
well suited for use in EVs. however they are not very good because they
loose the rated capacity at lower currents <33 amps and if the ambient
temperature is not around 70 degrees farenhient. they are a dead end in
technology as near as I can tell. NiMH handle greater environmental temps
better. for example, why use li in the libretto? if you go from 70 degrees
to -10 you cut battery life in half from rated capacity. if you apply
*any* external heat, even +-10 degrees the charge/discharge is so far off
from the data sheet they are basically unapplicable. li has *always* had
this problem which is why communication has *always* used NiCAD/NiMH!! If
transcievers start being shipped with li I'll ship them back!!
Transcievers are *not* office equipment they are used in every environment
imaginable and are not used in environments where the ambient temp is
constant in the least. you might ask why I mention transcievers.
transcievers have a similar current use pattern to a laptop cpu board.
high current coupled with stable *longer* *lower* current use. when you
talk you use very high bursts of power than compared to when you recieve.
the high voltage in the li doesn't matter since the li you describe can
really only supply around .06 of a volt at 33 amps in the the real world
not the data sheet. you see, voltage really doen't apply in the real
world, it is simply a civilized method of describing a static discharge.
it really doesn't exist. its like trying to describe the zero number. that
doesn't exist either. that is the main reason li don't work though is that
low voltage. lead acid, and some nimh are rated better and provide their
actual discharge voltage in the data sheet. for some reason I don't know
about li-ion/poly designers are misrating their cells.

john