Date: Thu, 23 Mar 2006 09:06:48 +1100
From: Raymond <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Subject: Re: [LIB] 70CT and mouse

PS2 to DB9 adapters only work on mice with "combo" chips in them - PS2 mice and serial mice are actually quite incompatible but some mice have a controller chip that is designed to work with such adapters and will detect them and switch from one to the other. The other fly in the ointment is that there are actually 2 or 3 different types of PS2 to DB9 mouse adapters flying around (I can't remember what the differences are but they are somewhat significant). In general, if a mouse comes with an adapter it's compatible and if it doesn't it isn't (there are of course exceptions but I've found them to be pretty rare).

In general, optical (as in non-ball optical) mice aren't able to run with such adapters, probably because they need more power and the serial port can't supply that much power (actually serial ports aren't designed to supply power at all but older ball mice are designed to draw almost no current so it's OK). Also a lot of newer PS2 mice aren't compatible (most newer Logitech PS2 mice that shipped with Dell desktops aren't - I tried a pile of them a while back).

- Raymond

P.S. The same is also sorta true of USB mice - some are combo mice, they will work with USB or PS2 and others are only USB ... the problem here is that I've found a fair number of mice that are compatible with both don't come with adapters ... so it gets even more confusing!