From: Andreas Schneider [mailto:a...@cryptomilk.org]
Sent: Friday, February 2, 2018 12:57 PM
To: libssh@libssh.org
Subject: Re: Using libssh to decrypt packets offline

On Friday, 2 February 2018 08:19:44 CET dibyendu.chakrabo...@keysight.com
wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am trying to decode SSH encrypted packets in Wireshark using libssh
> (eventually). For this, I have written a sample program following the
> tutorials to connect to my localhost, authenticate myself, and run
> commands. I have captured these packet exchanges using tcpdump. I went
> through the code and found that I require several pieces of runtime
> information (which the libssh library can generate with some tweaking)
> - the cipher name, decrypt key, decrypt IV, if compression was used
> etc. Out of all these, I found that decrypt IV kept on changing with each
> packet Rx.
> On my system (Ubuntu 14.04.2 LTS), I found AES 256 (CTR) was used to
> encrypt/decrypt the packets.
>
> My question is: If I modify libssh library to store decrypt key,
> decrypt IV, chipher name etc in a file when they are first generated
> (modify
> generate_session_keys) and later use them to decrypt packets offline
> (by invoking ssh_packet_socket_callback with a dummy session having
> decrypt key, decrypt IV etc previously generated), is there a way to
> calculate the value of decrypt IV before decrypting the nth packet?
>
> Consider the following scenario:
> Libssh generated the keys, and I wrote them in a file. Then some data
> exchange happened. During this time, the decrypt IV has changed. Now I
> run tcpdump for some time and capture the subsequent packets. Now I
> want to decrypt these packets offline using the information that I had
> stored in the file. Out of all these, the initial decrypt IV that was
> generated is no longer valid. Is there a way to calculate the correct
> decrypt IV from the initial decrypt IV so that the packets captured by
> tcpdump could be decrypted properly. I'm guessing the algorithm to
> calculate the final decrypt IV from the initial decrypt IV will vary
> from one cipher to the next. Could you please provide some links about
> the algorithms that each cipher employ (that libssh supports)?

Or you just turn on pcap support in libssh ...

https://na01.safelinks.protection.outlook.com/?url=https%3A%2F%2Fgit.libssh.org%2Fprojects%2Flibssh.git%2Ftree%2Finclude%2Flibssh%2Fpcap.h&data=02%7C01%7C%7Ccbf0828c83194a37811a08d56a0e51a6%7Caecf336c753a47ca95a6f47ac27a1a6f%7C1%7C1%7C636531532106894589&sdata=prhDfL%2FBk5PrkEFjTrv3gs99HlWGmaWjDtraxVDyipQ%3D&reserved=0

        Andreas