Brian Dessent <brian <at> dessent.net> writes:

> Libtool will *not* create shared libraries without -no-undefined on PE
> targets, period.
<cut>
>  So yes, you
> need to either use -no-undefined unconditionally, or conditionalized on
> PE targets.  See
> <http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.gnu.mingw.user/18727> for a little
> of the history.
>
> Brian

I am not really convinced that this behaviour is right. It looks like
discrimination against users of the evil M$ O/S , but I know nothing about
writing programs for multiple platforms, so I cannot argue.

Just for my information:

I gather that on Linux, you *can* create a shared library with undefined
symbols.

1) Why would anyone do that intentionally?
2) Assuming that it was a mistake, could it happen silently?
3) What are the consequences?