On 6/13/08, Bob Friesenhahn <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>  Any file. :-)
>
>  Another common use of chroot installs is to create a small OS-root
> environment with all of the libraries and files that the package is expected
> to need (could be a base Linux install).  Then the package is installed
> under the chrooted environment and tested.  The package should be able to
> run without saying that it can't find libYYY.so or fileXXX.

You compile the libc and also install it to the same place.
I don't think that it is libtool job to find dependencies and place them within.
I use a simple script that examine dependencies within the chroot and
copy libraries from cross compile environment into the chroot
location.

So I don't think this is the feature that is missing. The major issue
is to make sure that files installed by libtool into the chroot will
be valid after chroot given all dependencies are available.

> > >  It seems that there are many descriptions of this elephant.
> > >

> > I think you going to differnet place than creating a valid environment
> > for chroot.
> >

>  That is true, but if more valid uses are identified for the feature then
> perhaps there will be more incentive to develop it.

Oh... OK. As long as we understand this use case, I am happy.

Alon.