* tom fogal wrote on Tue, Feb 15, 2011 at 06:34:44PM CET:
> Hi, sorry for the slow response.

No worries.

> Ralf Wildenhues writes:
> > Hmm, even libtool 1.5.26 should be detecting mpicc as gcc but
> > apparently it isn't.  You could look in config.log to find out why.
> > I'd really really suggest using a newer Libtool though [. . .]
>
> Just wanted to follow up for the archives.  I upgraded libtool but hit
> lots of strange issues.  Ended up upgrading both autoconf and automake
> too, which of course were also a few years old.
>
> I was still hitting issues, now with libtool trying to execute "X--gcc"
> or something like that; it seemed to be a common problem, from google
> searches, yet nobody had a concrete answer.  I'm afraid I don't either:
> my solution was to stash my current changes and `git clean -df'.  I
> don't version control configure, aclocal.m4, config.* etc., and so this
> got me a virgin tree.
>
> At that point 'libtoolize --copy --force && autoreconf -vi' got me a
> working build system.  There must have been some sort of state which
> was not getting overwritten from the above w/o cleaning out the whole
> tree, but I do not know what it was, exactly.

I want to add this to the to-be-written FAQ.  I have half an idea of
where that bug comes from but would like to make sure.  Please specify
exactly which Autoconf, Automake, and Libtool versions you used before
upgrading, and then, in which order you upgraded which tool to what
newer version.

Thanks,
Ralf