On Wed, Oct 31, 2007 at 09:34:33AM -0400, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 05:23:47PM -0400, Jim Paris wrote:
> > Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> > > In Fedora/RHEL we simply switched  Xen, QEMU and KVM to all use rtl8139
> > > by
> > > defualt since ne2k is crap.
> >
> > Getting it fixed upstream might be best.  We could also just have
> > libvirt always append "model=rtl8139", but I'd be concerned that we
> > could break existing VMs for some users if we swap out the network
> > card unexpectedly.  An upstream change would have the same problem.
> >
> > Regardless of what the defaults are, I don't think exposing a knob
> > that lets you control what NIC the guest sees is that much of a hack;
> > describing the guest hardware is what the config xml is mostly for.
>
>   Agreed. The specifics of the hardware configuration emulated for the
> domain have their place in the XML file. But I'm not sure what other
> compatibility issues may arise if we applied such a patch.
>   Also I hate seeing a patch rot in the list archive without proper process
> but I don't feel like I understand all the issues at stake here to really
> try to apply it myself ...

Having thought about it, I think its reasonable to aply some variant of
this patch. Guest a question of how we want to present it as XML. Just to
present some variants...

   <interface type="bridge">
      <nic model="rtl8139"/>
      <source bridge="xenbr0"/>
      <target dev="vif1.0"/>
   </interface>

   <interface type="bridge" model="rtl8139">
      <source bridge="xenbr0"/>
      <target dev="vif1.0"/>
   </interface>

   <interface type="bridge">
      <model>rtl8139</model>
      <source bridge="xenbr0"/>
      <target dev="vif1.0"/>
   </interface>

   <interface type="bridge">
      <source bridge="xenbr0"/>
      <target dev="vif1.0" model="rtl8139"/>
   </interface>

I guess I'd lean towards the first variant, which was Jim's original
suggestion.

Of course for any of this to solve Jim's problem, we need virt-install
and / or  virt-manager to explicitly ask for the RTL8139 nic when
creating new guests, otherwise you're still at the mercy of the underlying
default NIC choice in QEMU/KVM/XEn which may or may not be RTL8139.

Regards,
Dan.