> On Fri, May 19, 2017 at 12:56:44PM -0400, Farhan Ali wrote:
>> This patch series introduces the support for new s390x 'loadparm'
>> feature. The 'loadparm' can be used to select the boot entry to
>> boot from, for a boot device.
>
> Why do we need / want any of this when we already have bootindex=NN
> support. Inventing a S390-only way to select the boot device order
> is pretty horrible IMHO

loadparm is an 8 byte character parameter for s390 systems and available
on all other hypervisors (LPAR/z/VM). It is really a part of the architecture.
Linux does use it to select a boot entry within a disk, but for other guest
operating systems it is used to pass along other kind of parameters for the
ipl process,

e.g. check
https://www.ibm.com/support/knowledgecenter/zosbasics/com.ibm.zos.zsysprog/zsysprogc_systemIPL.htm
to see what z/OS uses.

Not having it was really a missing part of the s390 support.