On Wed, Jan 17, 2018 at 10:32:56AM +0000, Kang, Luwei wrote:

> > Nice!
> > > >

> > > So, I need to add Intel PT feature in "X86CPUDefinition
> > > builtin_x86_defs[]" so that we can get this CPUID in specific CPU
> > > model not only "-cpu host". Is that right?
> >
> > The problem is that you won't be able to add intel-pt to any CPU model
> > unless the feature is made migration-safe (by not calling
> > kvm_arch_get_supported_cpuid() from cpu_x86_cpuid()).
>
> Hi Eduardo,
>     Have some question need you help clear. What is
>     "migration-safe" feature mean? I find all the feature which
>     included in CPU model (builtin_x86_defs[]) will make
>     "xcc->migration_safe = true;" in
>     x86_cpu_cpudef_class_init(). If create a Skylake guest on
>     Skylake HW and live migrate this guest to another machine
>     with old HW(e.g Haswell). Can we think the new feature or
>     cpu model(Skylake guest) which only supported in Skylake HW
>     is safe?

I mean matching the requirements so we can say the feature is migration-safe,
that means exposing the same CPUID data to the guest on any host, if the
machine-type + command-line is the same.  The data on CPUID[7] is OK (it
changes according to the command-line options only), but the data exposed on
CPUID[14h] on this patch is not migration-safe (it changes depending on the
host it is running).

> > What's missing here is to either: (a) make cpu_x86_cpuid() return
> > host-independent data (it can be constant, or it can be
> > configurable on the command-line); or (b) add a mechanism to skip intel-pt
> > from "query-cpu-model-expansion type=static".
>
> ==> it can be constant:
>     I think it shouldn't be constant because Intel PT virtualization can only
> supported in Ice Lake hardware now. Intel PT cpuid info would be mask off on
> old platform.
> ==> or it can be configurable on the command-line:
>     Because of I didn't add this feature in any CPU model. We only can enable
> this feature by "-cpu Skylake-Server,+intel-pt" at present.

Note that I'm talking about CPUID[14h], not CPUID[7].  The CPUID[7] bits are
safe because they are set according to the CPU model + command-line options
only.  The bits on CPUID[14h] change depending on the host and are not
migration-safe.  CPUID[7].EBX[bit 25] is just the (already configurable) bit
that enables the migration-unsafe code for CPUID[14h].

> What about add a new cpu model name "Icelake" and add PT in this. Is that
> would be migration safe?

It won't, because of the CPUID[14h] code that makes it unsafe to migrate
between hosts with different Intel-PT capabilities (i.e. different data on
CPUID[14h]).

--
Eduardo