On 13/03/18 14:23, Daniel P. Berrangé wrote:
On Tue, Mar 13, 2018 at 02:07:08PM +0000, Jonathan Davies wrote:
qemuDomainDetachNetDevice should not treat a timeout in a call to
qemuDomainWaitForDeviceRemoval as success. Instead, it should treat it
as failure -- this is the intention behind having a timeout.
Actually this is intentional current behaviour. See the API docs for
* Beware that depending on the hypervisor and device type, detaching a device
* from a running domain may be asynchronous. That is, calling
* virDomainDetachDeviceFlags may just request device removal while the device
* is actually removed later (in cooperation with a guest OS). Previously,
* this fact was ignored and the device could have been removed from domain
* configuration before it was actually removed by the hypervisor causing
* various failures on subsequent operations. To check whether the device was
* successfully removed, either recheck domain configuration using
* virDomainGetXMLDesc() or add a handler for the
* event. In case the device is already gone when virDomainDetachDeviceFlags
* returns, the event is delivered before this API call ends. To help existing
* clients work better in most cases, this API will try to transform an
* asynchronous device removal that finishes shortly after the request into
* a synchronous removal. In other words, this API may wait a bit for the
* removal to complete in case it was not synchronous.
Thanks all the helpful replies.
Just to check I've understood: The design is that the call is
synchronous but may become asynchronous if it times out. The purpose of
the timeout is just to limit the window in which it might be synchronous.
But there's no way for the client to know whether it was synchronous or
asynchronous since the return value is the same in both cases.
Therefore a well-written client would always need to check whether the
operation completed successfully or not.
In which case, why bother with the synchronous mode and the server-side
timeout? Wouldn't it be simpler for it to be always asynchronous,
allowing the client to wait for as long as it likes before giving up?
Please correct me if I've misunderstood!
libvir-list mailing list