On Fri, 16 Nov 2018 01:45:51 -0200
Eduardo Habkost <ehabk...@redhat.com> wrote:

> On Thu, Nov 15, 2018 at 05:29:24PM +0100, Andrea Bolognani wrote:

> > One thing that I'm very much not convinced about is the naming,
> > specifically leaving the virtio revision out: I get it that we
> > Should Never Need™ another major version of the spec, but I'm
> > afraid discounting the possibility outright might prove to be
> > shortsighted and come back to bite us later, so I'd much rather
> > keep it.
> >
> > And once that's done, "non-transitional" (while matching the
> > language of the spec) starts to look a bit unnecessary when you
> > could simply have
> >
> >   virtio-*-pci
> >   virtio-*-pci-1
> >   virtio-*-pci-1-transitional
> >
> > instead. But I don't feel as strongly about this as I do about
> > keeping the virtio revision in the device name :)
>
> I like that suggestion.  Makes the device names more explicit
> _and_ shorter.  I'll do that in v3.

OTOH, that would mean we'd need to introduce new device types if we
ever start to support a virtio 2.x standard. My understanding was that
we'll want separate device types for transitional and non-transitional
for two reasons: the bus which a device can be plugged into, and
changing ids. Do we really expect huge changes in a possible 2.x
standard that affect virtio-pci only, and not other virtio transports
as well?