On 12/16/19 9:48 PM, Alex Williamson wrote:
On Mon, 16 Dec 2019 21:09:20 -0300

Yes, but libvirt should not assume that it can manipulate the bindings
of adjacent devices without being explicitly directed to do so.  The
error may be a hindrance to you, but it might also prevent, for
example, the only other NIC in the system being detached from the host
driver.  Is it worth making the VM run without explicitly listing all
devices to assign at the cost of disrupting host services or subverting
the additional isolation a user might be attempting to configure with
having unused devices bound to vfio-pci.  This seems like a bad idea,
the VM should be configured to explicitly list every device it needs to
have assigned or partially assigned.  Thanks,

Thanks Alex. I know what's going wrong with this patch series after your
messages and
a close inspection of what Libvirt is already doing. Libvirt does a sanity
check for PCI endpoint devices before assigning them to vfio-pci, but the
new detection code I am adding isn't. The result is that Cole can't run his
VM because this new detection code is demanding that a PCI Bridge, that belongs
to the same IOMMU of the devices Cole wants to passthrough, be assigned
to vfio-pci. Which is wrong.

I'll re-send this series fixing that.

Thanks,

DHB