On Fri, Dec 18, 2020 at 15:14:01 -0600, Ryan Gahagan wrote:
> On Thu, Dec 17, 2020 at 8:00 AM Peter Krempa <pkre...@redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Also note that the upstream test-suite run in the CI does actually
> > provide the expected output. Obviously you can't use the ENV variable to
> > automatically overwrite your files, but you certainly can copy out the
> > diffs from the CI. Just commit empty files in place for the output files
> > and the CI will complain that they differ including the full difference.
> >

> We tried doing this and we failed on CI, but the pipeline jobs didn't
> output a diff, and instead simply errored out with the message "Full log
> written to
> /builds/bschoney/libvirt/build/meson-private/dist-build/meson-logs/testlog.txt".
> How can we actually view the diff against our blank file? We're trying to
> find the output for the qemuxml2argvdata args file for our new test but
> it's not being printed anywhere.

You can actually see some of the test output in your CI pipeline runs:

https://gitlab.com/bschoney/libvirt/-/jobs/922060289#L2961

anyways, it's not worth for me to debug why some of the output might be
skipped (perhaps missing empty output files).

Please make sure your local env is able to build libvirt, so that you
can use VIR_TEST_REGENERATE_OUTPUT. That is certainly the simplest way.
In addition you certainly want to test your changes in action, and our
CI AFAIK doesn't provide built packages.