On Thu, May 12, 2022 at 05:58:46PM +0100, Dr. David Alan Gilbert wrote:
> * Daniel P. Berrangé (berra...@redhat.com) wrote:
> > On Wed, May 11, 2022 at 07:31:45PM +0200, Claudio Fontana wrote:
> > > That's great, I love when things are simple.
> > >
> > > If indeed we want to remove the copy in libvirt (which will also mean
> > > explicitly fsyncing elsewhere, as the iohelper would not be there anymore
> > > to do that for us on image creation),
> > > with QEMU having a "file" protocol support for migration,
> > >
> > > do we plan to have libvirt and QEMU both open the file for writing
> > > concurrently, with QEMU opening O_DIRECT?
> >
> > For non-libvirt users, I expect QEMU would open the
> > file directly . For libvirt usage, it is likely
> > preferrable to pass the pre-opened FD, because that
> > simplifies file permission handling.
> >
> > > The alternative being having libvirt open the file with
> > > O_DIRECT, write some libvirt stuff in a new, O_DIRECT-
> > > friendly format, and then pass the fd to qemu to migrate to,
> > > and QEMU sending its new O_DIRECT friendly stream there.
> >
> > Yep.
> >
> > > In any case, the expectation here is to have a new
> > > "file://pathname" or "file:://fdname" as an added feature in QEMU,
> > > where QEMU would write a new O_DIRECT friendly stream
> > > directly into the file, taking care of both optional
> > > parallelization and compression.
> >
> > I could see several distinct building blocks
> >
> >   * First a "file:/some/path" migration protocol
> >     that can just do "normal" I/O, but still writing
> >     in the traditional migration data stream
> >
> >   * Modify existing 'fd:' protocol so that it fstat()s
> >     and passes over to the 'file' protocol handler if
> >     it sees the FD is not a socket/pipe
>
> We used to have that at one point.
>
> >   * Add a migration capability "direct-mapped" to
> >     indicate we want the RAM data written/read directly
> >     to/from fixed positions in the file, as opposed to
> >     a stream. Obviously only valid with a sub-set
> >     of migration protocols (file, and fd: if a seekable
> >     FD).
>
> This worries me about how you're going to cleanly glue this into the
> migration code;  it sounds like what you want it to do is very different
> to what it currently does.

I've only investigated it lightly, but I see the key bit of code
is this method which emits the header + ram page content:

static int save_normal_page(RAMState *rs, RAMBlock *block, ram_addr_t offset,
                            uint8_t *buf, bool async)
{
    ram_transferred_add(save_page_header(rs, rs->f, block,
                                         offset | RAM_SAVE_FLAG_PAGE));
    if (async) {
        qemu_put_buffer_async(rs->f, buf, TARGET_PAGE_SIZE,
                              migrate_release_ram() &&
                              migration_in_postcopy());
    } else {
        qemu_put_buffer(rs->f, buf, TARGET_PAGE_SIZE);
    }
    ram_transferred_add(TARGET_PAGE_SIZE);
    ram_counters.normal++;
    return 1;
}

my (perhaps wishful) thinking was that we just have an alternative
impl of this which doesn't save the page header, and puts the
page content at a fixed offset.

I'm fuzzy on how we figure out the right offset - I was hoping
that "RAMState" or "RAMBlock" somehow gives us enough info to figure
out a deterministic mapping to a file location.

With regards,
Daniel