On Wed, Nov 23, 2022 at 02:12:59PM +0100, Jiri Denemark wrote:

> Not to mention that QEMU changed names of several features and even deprecated
> the old spellings which is completely transparent to libvirt users as they can
> still use the old names no matter what version of QEMU they use. This is one
> of the key benefits of libvirt.

It's certainly very unfortunate that qemu did that (and we are still paying the
price for the arch-facilities/arch-capabilities thing). If I'm reading your
email right, you're saying that libvirt is (trying to?) move in a direction
where instead of having say src/cpu_map/x86_Icelake-Client.xml, instead there is
a very minimal layer that knows that some qemu feature got renamed, and is
effectively just a filter "papering over" such qemu issues.

And in particular it's no longer the case that every single cpu model, cpu model
version, and cpu feature needs commits to both qemu and libvirt, and they must
be in sync.

I'm presuming this will also mean plumbing through qemu model versions too, as
that's an essential part I think.

Do I have this right at all?

regards
john