On 08/19/2011 01:27 PM, Jason Helfman wrote:
Hi,

I am getting this error when I run virt-manager in FreeBSD:

[Fri, 19 Aug 2011 09:32:14 virt-manager 24762] DEBUG (engine:555) No
inspection thread because libguestfs is too old, not available, or libvirt
is not thread safe.

libguestfs isn't ported to FreeBSD, however I was wondering about the
thread
safe for libvirt. Is there a way to "enable" this, or is the software
telling me it really is not thread safe, and can't be.

[jhelfman@eggman ~/ports/devel/libvirt/work/libvirt-0.9.4]$ ./configure
--help |grep thread
--enable-threads={posix|solaris|pth|win32}

posix threads should be enabled by default in libvirt (except on mingw, where it is win32), without you having to do anything special, and should just work out of the box. I'm not sure why virt-manager is complaining about a non-thread-safe libvirt; libvirt was converted to be thread-safe in something like the 0.6.x timeframe (long before I started working on it). So I think that you are chasing a red herring with libvirt, and that the real problem is indeed that virt-manager is warning you that it can't use libguestfs.

--
Eric Blake   ebl...@redhat.com    +1-801-349-2682