On 12/03/2012 05:37 PM, Eric Blake wrote:
>> I'm not sure how if it impacts this particular change, but why don't
>> we switch
>> to AM_INIT_AUTOMAKE([foreign]) ? Since AUTHORS or ChangeLog are no
>> longer
>> static, it seems we are just causing ourselves pain by trying to work
>> around
>> auto* insisting those files exist.
>>
>> Then again I don't know what benefits non-foreign gives us...
>
> Interesting idea; reading the automake manual, I see:
>
> https://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html#Strictness
>
> foreign
>     Automake will check for only those things that are absolutely required
> for proper operations. For instance, whereas GNU standards dictate the
> existence of a NEWS file, it will not be required in this mode. This
> strictness will also turn off some warnings by default (among them,
> portability warnings). The name comes from the fact that Automake is intended
> to be used for GNU programs; these relaxed rules are not the standard mode of
> operation.
>
> then further details here:
> https://www.gnu.org/software/automake/manual/automake.html#Gnits
>
>     The files INSTALL, NEWS, README, AUTHORS, and ChangeLog, plus one of
> COPYING.LIB, COPYING.LESSER or COPYING, are required at the topmost directory
> of the package.
>
>     If the --add-missing option is given, automake will add a generic version
> of the INSTALL file as well as the COPYING file containing the text of the
> current version of the GNU General Public License existing at the time of
> this Automake release (version 3 as this is written,
> http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/gpl.html). However, an existing COPYING file will
> never be overwritten by automake.
>     The options no-installman and no-installinfo are prohibited.
>

> Right now, we are relying on 'automake --add-missing' to generate our INSTALL,
> so switching to 'foreign' would break that.  But it wouldn't be too hard
> to check a static copy of INSTALL into libvirt.git if that's the only thing
> in the way of us using a more relaxed automake mode.

And in fact I think the default INSTALL file is total overkill and daunting
for anyone that doesn't have already have a basic understanding of autotools.
This isn't a libvirt specific problem obviously.

I think INSTALL should really be under 40 lines of texts, so as not to
intimidate, and cover quick install from git, quick install from release
tarball, and probably use of ./run for people that just want to run from the
build directory.

If need be we can keep INSTALL.autotools in git and point to that for more
info, but a URL is probably sufficient.

- Cole