On 8/24/19 3:08 AM, Dan Kenigsberg wrote:

On Fri, 23 Aug 2019, 0:27 Laine Stump, <la...@redhat.com <mailto:la...@redhat.com>> wrote:

    (Adding Alex Williamson to Cc so he can correct any mistakes)

    <berra...@redhat.com <mailto:berra...@redhat.com>> wrote:

> [...]
    Kubernetes

     >> I recall successfully testing GPU assignment from an unprivileged
     >> libvirtd several years ago by setting a high enough ulimit for
    the uid
     >> used to run libvirtd in advance (. I think we check if the current
     >> setting is high enough, and don't try to set it unless we think
    we need to.

     > The PR I linked to in the original email does just that: it starts
     > libvirtd; then, if domain is going to use VFIO, sets ulimit of
     > libvirtd process to VM memory size + 1Gb (mimicking libvirt code) +
     > 256Mb (to stay conservative) using prlimit() syscall; then
    defines the
     > domain.

    So you're making an educated guess, which is essentially what
    libvirt is
    doing (based on advice from other people with better information than
    us, but still a guess).

     >> If I understand you correctly, you're saying that in your case
    it's okay
     >> for the memlock limit to be lower than we try to set it to,
    because swap
     >> is disabled anyway, is that correct?
     >>

     > I'm honestly not exactly sure about the reason why we need to set the
     > limit, but I assume it's because of swap. I can be totally
    confused on
     > that part though.

    What I understand from an IRC conversation with Alex just now is that
    increasing RLIMIT_MEMLOCK isn't done just to prevent any of the pages
    being swapped out. It's done because "all GPAs (Guest Physical
    Addresses) that could potentially be DMA targets need to have fixed
    mappings through the iommu, therefore all need to be allocated and
    mappings fixed [...] setting rlimit allows us to perform all the
    necessary pins within the user's locked memory limit".

    So even if swap is disabled, it still needs to be done (either by
    libvirt, or by someone else who has the necessary privileges and
    control
    over the libvirtd process).

     >>> You are right, sorry. We add SYS_RESOURCE only for particular
    domains.

     >>> We are using passthrough
     >>
     >> (If you want to make Alex happy, use the term "VFIO device
    assignment"
     >> rather than passthrough :-).)
     >>

     > Not sure who Alex is but I'll try to make everyone happy! :)

    The Alex I'm referring to is the Alex I just Cc'ed. He is the VFIO
    maintainer.

     >>> to pass SR-IOV NIC VFs into guests. We also
     >>> plan to do the same for GPUs in the near future.
     >>
     >>   >>> I believe we would benefit from one of the following
    features on
     >>   >>> libvirt side (or both):
     >>   >>>
     >>   >>> a) expose the memory lock value calculated by libvirtd through
     >>   >>> libvirt ABI so that we can use it when calling prlimit()
    on libvirtd
     >>   >>> process;
     >>   >>> b) allow to disable setrlimit() calls via libvirtd config
    file knob
     >>   >>> or domain definition.
     >>
     >> (b) sounds much more reasonable, as long as qemu doesn't complain (I
     >> don't know whether or not it checks)
     >>
     >> Slightly related to this - I'm currently working on patches to avoid
     >> making any ioctl calls that would fail in an unprivileged
    libvirtd when
>> using tap/macvtap devices.

This is music to my ears, great to hear.

    ATM, I'm doing this by adding an attribute
     >> "unmanaged='yes'" to the interface <target> element. The idea is
    that if
     >> someone sets unmanaged='yes', they're stating that the caller (i.e.
     >> kubevirt) is responsible for all device setup, and that libvirt
    should
     >> just use it without further setup. A similar approach could be
    applied
     >> to hostdev devices - if unmanaged is set, we assume that the
    caller has
     >> done everything to make the associated device usable.
     >>
     >> (Of course this all makes me realize the inanity of adding a <target
     >> dev='blah' unmanaged='yes'/> for interfaces when hostdevs
    already have
     >> <hostdev managed='yes'> and <interface type='hostdev'
    managed='yes'>. So
     >> to prevent setting the locklimit for hostdev, would we make a new
     >> setting like <hostdev managed='no-never-not-even-a-tiny-bit'>?
    Sigh. I
     >> *hate* trying to make config consistent :-/)

Sounds tough indeed. I'd try to avoid negatively-named knobs. managed=no is simpler to perceive than unmanaged=yes.

Yeah, I don't like double negatives either, but since the default needs to preserve existing behavior, and it's easier for a default setting to be "no" rather than "yes"...,

Still, I'm not married to this name, just using it so that I can get *something* going.

It may be just me, but I'd even assume managed=no if the target dev name is specified. If libvirt manages the tap device, it should create a fresh one, too.

If we were starting from scratch, that's what I would prefer too. The only problem is that we have to maintain existing behavior for current users. The way that it works currently is that if you specify the tap device name and it exists, then libvirt will still set the MAC address and some IFF_* flags. If we suddenly stop doing that, then the existing users' configs will be broken :-/

But all of this is a big digression.

     >> (alternately, we could just automatically fail the attempt to
    set the
     >> lock limit in a graceful manner and allow the guest to continue)
     >>

     > If that's something maintainers feel good about, I am all for it
    since
     > it simplifies the implementation.

    Well, after talking to Alex, I think that since a) libvirt only
    attempts
    to increase the limit after determining that it isn't already high
    enough, and b) if it isn't high enough and we can't increase it, then
    qemu is going to fail anyway, that c) we can't just fail gracefully and
    continue.

    So *somebody* needs to increase the limit, and if you want libvirt
    to be
    unprivileged, that means it needs to be you doing the increase. And
    since the amount that libvirt increases it is just some number based on
    oral folklore (and not on a specific value we learn by querying
    somewhere), I don't think it's worthwhile figuring out some way for
    libvirt to report it via an official API - that would end up just being
    this:

    "Hey, you know that number that you guys are just making a guess about
    based on some advice someone gave you once? Yeah, send me *that* number
    so I can claim to be basing my actions on real science instead of
    slightly educated voodoo! K THX BYE!" :-)

Well, it's more like: "you know that voodoo you do to guess the number? If you ever educate yourself about it, e.g by querying qemu, send me *that* number. I'd rather not think about it ever again, BYE."

I can see the motivation. But that assumes that qemu knows the right answer, and had a way to query it. If they ever do that, then maybe we could think about supporting it, but until then reporting any value is tantamount to lying.