On Tue, Mar 05, 2002 at 06:54:41AM -0800, Randal L. Schwartz wrote:

> Reinier> On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 04:33:37PM +0530, kavitha malar wrote:
> >> I want to search a text in a website how to do that through perl.
>
> Reinier>    perl -MLWP::Simple -e \
> Reinier>     'getprint http://www.google.com/search?q=$word+site:$site'
>
> Reinier> I'm serious.  (This is what I use to find my own pages.)
>
> Except now, Google has gotten fairly upset about "automated" page
> fetches.  There's a thread on use.perl.org about it.

Thanks for the pointer.

  http://www.google.com/terms_of_service.html

is pretty vague about it.  As someone in the thread remarked, we are
talking about a single query here, for personal use, without even any
reformatting of the results.

> And last time I checked, Google *specifically* blocks the default
> agent type that LWP uses, so you'll get no response.  You have
> to change the agent type to something with "Mozilla" in it. :)

Mmm, I should have checked that.  I actually feed the Google query URL
to lynx or links.

> Gisle - would it be unfair to have a special useragent string
> when LWP detects that it is visiting Google? :)

Nice idea :)  But hidden magic in code is always bad.

--
Reinier