I use a product called HTTP Interceptor.  Google to find the site.  It
was only $45 and works really well.

-----Original Message-----
From: Joseph Alotta [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 26, 2004 10:34 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: Website thinks Mech is MSIE < 4.0

Hi Bruce,

On Aug 25, 2004, at 9:15 PM, bruce wrote:

> joe/joseph....
>
> when you're creating apps that require you to either do a form
> submission, or a cookie... it helps if you are able to see what the
> web app actually sends between the server and the browser. this tends
> to help track down issues with cookies/redirects/etc...
>
> i would strongly advise you to find an app/proxy that might allow you
> to access the site via a regular browser, while capturing the traffic
> between the browser/website.

Yes, I know.  It is like flying blind.  I can do much better coding when
I can see what things are going on.  I am looking for something like you
advise.

> as far as the cookie goes, you shouldn't have to set a cookie on your
> client app that's accessing the website. remember, what you're doing
> is trying to quickly emualte a basic browser function in a programatic

> manner, in order to access the site. think about it for a sec... a
> normal browser doesn't have to 'set' a cookie before it's ever been to

> the site!!!

Theoretically, you are right.  However, Mechanize is not a full-featured
browser and it doesn't do all the javascript things, so we have to do
them manually.

> if you're still having issue with your app, let me know. i may have
> some sample perl that might be able to walk you through some of what
> you're going through...

Gedanken, said that he will find out how I need to set the cookie.
Once I get past this, I think I can handle the rest.  I have written a
few Mechanize programs and it seems this is the odd case, that other
websites are easier to deal with.

Thank you for you help.

Joe.

> peace...