on Sat, Apr 21, 2001 at 02:37:24PM -0400, Tom Oehser ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:

> > What is it you want to protect?
>
> I'll give you an example.
>
> My bootdisk currently includes a libc5.so.5.4.13 that I have down to only
> 416,361 bytes.

Covered by the GNU GPL, no?  Section 1:

    1. You may copy and distribute verbatim copies of the Program's
       source code as you receive it, in any medium, *provided that you
       conspicuously and appropriately publish on each copy an
       appropriate copyright notice* and disclaimer of warranty; keep
       intact all the notices that refer to this License and to the
       absence of any warranty; and give any other recipients of the
       Program a copy of this License along with the Program.

Did you add your own copyright notice to these programs?  I'm digging
around for copyright notices, they're a bit scarce....  You ought to be
covered under GPL in this case.

> More than 2 years ago, back in October of 1998, I had it only down to
> 432,684 bytes.  I havn't distributed that binary libc.so for about 2
> years.  Now, guess what libc5.so.5.4.13 file is currently in use on
> the MuLinux distribution?  Yep, the 432,684 byte one I created about 2
> years ago.  Now, the author of MuLinux does *not* mention that he used
> a bunch (more than just this) of stuff directly out of tomsrtbt, he
> did *not* ever contact me about how to build it that small, and I
> would be curious in the abstract to know what he would do if someone
> asked him for the source code sufficient to rebuild it.

Incidentally, where's TRBs sources?

...and have you mentioned this to the MuLinux author?   A lot of license
enforcement starts out with "say, I noticed" type letters.

> I want to prevent people from taking the binary objects and copying
> them into their own mini distributions without mentioning where they
> got them.

If you're modifying works based under the GPL and BSD licenses, the
existing licenses give you this right.  I think you're asking for what
you already have.

Cheers.

--
Karsten M. Self <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>    http://kmself.home.netcom.com/