Hi Carmen,

I sympathize with your goal. I think there's really several things going on:

a) You want to create a license for your project

b) You want to make it easy for people to create variations of your license

c) You'd like to get OSI approval once to cover all licenses

In that sense, the APL is really a meta-license, which is intended to make it trivial to generate various OSI-compliant licenses. Is that a fair statement? There has been periodic talk of such a Universal License, and I applaud your willingness to undertake this beast.

I suspect the problem is that the optional modules make life easier for the *licensor*, but painfully confusing for the *licensee*. I wonder if it might be more productive - and simpler - to break the problem down differently. One approach might be to create a Customizable Public License rather than an Adaptive one.

1. Create a baseline license (with no optional terms, though a few 'fill-in-the-blanks, like ), which reflects your immediate needs

2. As a separate document, define optional modules which could be used to modify the baseline APL.

3. Specify that people need to change the name when using a different version (and perhaps suggest a naming scheme which reflects the modules included).

4. Obtain OSI approval for the baseline license, and (separately, but simultaneously) approval that modifications associated with the various optional modules would NOT impact OSI approval.

That way, it is still the responsibility of the licensors to create a coherent document, but if they follow a well-defined path they are effectively pre-approved of OSI certification.

Would anyone else find that useful/interesting?

-- Ernie P.