It is indeed the case that the failures I see are in companies rather than among charity developers. However, it's a stretch to state that they already pay for lawyers! I sometimes get paid to read their depositions and explain them to the judge. Invariably, the failure is by an engineer or manager who interprets a license without proper use of legal counsel.

Software engineers in companies have the daily task of combining copyrighted property of multiple parties. They still graduate college today without the capability of recognizing the issues or using counsel to resolve them appropriately.