Hear my two cents clink in the pan!

On 2016-12-01 23:12, Richard Fontana wrote:

The 'Additional Grant' has attracted a fair amount of criticism (as
did an earlier version which apparently resulted in some revisions by
Facebook).

I've published a manually optimized "diff" of the original and revised PATENTS texts here:

https://writing.kemitchell.com/2015/09/25/React-Patent-Redline.html

I'd hoped to refer to this less.

What do members of the license-discuss community think about the
licensing of React?

The well-tended garden of standardized licenses has borne strange fruit. Rather than express meaning and intent in the terms of licenses---and face a pitchfork-wielding mob of anti-proliferationists---the choice of licenses from the curated crop of blessed forms has been made to take on all manner of extra weight. More than it can bear.

I have no inside information on Facebook or how React came to public light under the terms offered now or before. But I can name a couple tendencies that I suspect shape corporate releases of the kind:

1. Company counsel, especially the folks minding the patents, aren't comfortable with the "academic" licenses. Understandably so. They predate Patent Consciousness in the community. And it's a might inconsistent to turn from sweating every detail of a settlement or pooling arrangement to settling for an "implied license" under untested terms.

2. From the engineering point of view---relevant also to poaching engineers from others---"enterprisey" license forms like Apache and Eclipse on exude a much harsher vibe than MIT- and BSD-style forms. Crass and cliquish though it may be, the Cool Kids are licensing the Cool Stuff under MIT or BSD, if not Unlicense, WTFPL, or Death to Lawyers. There is, as yet, no hip, pithy license that contends with all the major strains of the intellectual property virus by name. Writing one ain't easy.

I see a few issues here:

- does the breadth of the React patent termination criteria raise
 OSD-conformance issues or otherwise indicate that React should not
 be considered open source?

I rank the OSD, under OSI's watch, among the most glorious monuments of my profession's service to open source. But I have to point out that what folks consider "open source" and OSI's application of the OSD are no longer one and the same. The divergence isn't total, but the identity is no longer reliable.

The OSD attempts to embody an ethic of nondiscrimination---against "persons or groups", against "fields of endeavor". But any good lawyer knows the difference between expressing intent explicitly and working it into a structure, in silence. OSI can try to flesh out a rule for how much discrimination "open source" abides in practice, but that dictum would not predetermine perception in the wider coding or commercial communities.

SQLite is available under a public domain dedication. For a fee, the company home of the maintainer will cut an explicit license. I can't speak to the motivations for these practices, or to the intentionality of choices made en route.

The net effect is discriminatory. Persons and groups involved in fields of endeavor necessitating rigorous and efficient rights clearance with adequate assurances of lawsuit-free operation need the paid licenses. The judgment-proof needn't give a damn. Neither the public domain dedication nor the form paid license discriminate against judgment-worthy enterprises. That's just the effect in practice. The same, reliable principle undergirds many a GPL or AGPL dual-licensed offering.

For companies presently or potentially entangled in patent spitting matches with Facebook, Inc., BSD terms alone, pleasing though they may be in the "hackers'" site, don't pass review board muster. Conversely, for the start-up aiming to be Zuckerberg acqui-swallowed over a weekend, React's a feather in cap.

None of this is to disparage what Facebook have done and made available. React could have wallowed on corporate SCM, ne'er to see the light of day. They'd've still applied for the patents, which would've sat around, ready to torpedo corporate users of whatever other library carried the cachet cargo for functional reactive-ish programming in front-end JavaScript. The public got better than that. It took people to get that done within Facebook. They've done a hell of a lot right since release, too.

- is it good practice, and does it affect the open source status of
 software, to supplement OSI-approved licenses with separate patent
 license grants or nonasserts? (This has been done by some other
 companies without significant controversy.)

No, it is not good practice.

At least under American law, all the facts, terms, and circumstances go into one big pot when it falls on a court to decide a dispute. Most critically, does the explicit patent license of PATENTS curtail any license otherwise implied from BSD terms standing alone? Better to have used an existing license with rigorous patent terms, and worked to establish it as "cool", or to write a new but self-contained license. There is clear need for terms that meets Facebook's requirements.

As it stands, PATENTS-LICENSE pollution threatens the key value proposition of standardization and anti-proliferation. React PATENTS means, not for the first time, but for a very meaningful library of broad applicability, that BSD-3-Clause LICENSE doesn't necessarily mean the same thing wherever you find it. Again, "facts and circumstances" ever muddy the waters, but React goes into its bottle unfiltered from the start.

- if the React patent license should be seen as not legitimate from an
 OSI/OSD perspective, what about the substantial number of
 past-approved (if now mostly obsolete) licenses that incorporated
 patent license grants with comparably broad termination criteria?

It will seem very lawyerly of me to ask what "legitimacy" means here. Perhaps also seditious, though I hope it's clear I mean well.

As for the "prior art", obsolescence bodes well for anti-proliferation. Especially if other corporate releases on genericized React PATENTS terms are not soon to follow.

- should Facebook be encouraged to seek OSI approval for the React
 license including the patent license grant?

React needn't seek OSI's blessing. It has reached The Promised Land of use and contribution, and quick, without its grace.

Insofar as OSI approval begs SPDX approval, seeking OSI approval for PATENTS on top of BSD-2-Clause is trouble. Is anyone else using PATENTS, adapted for a different corporate licensee? Wouldn't standardization encourage as much?

That is crossing the SPDX-OSI streams a bit.  I'm now a repeat offender.

--
Kyle Mitchell, attorney // Oakland // (510) 712 - 0933