From: Christopher Sean Morrison <brl...@mac.com<mailto:brl...@mac.com>>
Date: Wednesday, Mar 01, 2017, 1:51 PM
<license-discuss@opensource.org<mailto:license-discuss@opensource.org>>
Subject: Re: [License-discuss] Possible alternative was: Re: U.S. Army Research
Laboratory Open Source License (ARL OSL) Version 0.4.1

A proposed solution, however, is that the U.S. government will distribute
software under CC0. I don't care if that is sensible. I don't care if that is
odd. I do care that CC0 be an OSI-approved license, regardless of its flaws.

That will reaffirm the authority in our community of the OSI-approved open
source license list, regardless of the elegance of that solution for DOSA.

I don't think you'll find any disagreement, even amongst USG developers and
lawyers.  OSI is the established authority and many programs (e.g., Google
Summer of Code) require that projects utilize an OSI-approved license.

If I recall correctly, there were no objections to CC0 when it was submitted
for OSI approval.  It was withdrawn by the steward after prolonged patent
clause commentary.  considering what the implications of explicitly denying
patent rights may have on the liberal licenses.  That commentary was not
grounds for disapproval and not a fault of CC0, it was primarily a social and
license impact discussion, but it was withdrawn regardless.  So ...

The only question I have is whether the license steward is the only one
eligible to formally submit CC0 for reconsideration?  If not, I will formally
submit it myself as there is ample evidence of prolific use, niche utility that
differentiates it from other licenses, and no known clauses that conflict with
the OSD.

That way, we can all get past the distracting "it's not OSI-approved" rote.

Cheers!
Sean