I've actually found that building a Lift project is a fairly effective means
of learning Scala, because Lift tends to use a lot of idiomatic Scala that
you don't necessarily see in context when reading the Artima book. It can be
a lot to take on at once, but I've found that being exposed to and forced to
use some of the more unfamiliar language elements (coming from a C/Java/Ruby
background) has accelerated my uptake of those features. Particularly when
things haven't worked quite as expected and I've had to go digging in the
code to figure out what was going on. :)

Kris