David,

i don't know if this is any help, but here's the git version i'm using.

Best wishes,

--greg

bash-3.2$ which git
/opt/local/bin/git
bash-3.2$ git -v
Unknown option: -v
usage: git [--version] [--exec-path[=GIT_EXEC_PATH]]
[-p|--paginate|--no-pager] [--bare] [--git-dir=GIT_DIR]
[--work-tree=GIT_WORK_TREE] [--help] COMMAND [ARGS]
bash-3.2$ git --version
git version 1.6.0.4
bash-3.2$