Guys,

I've been contemplating doing this for a while and am now finding
myself with a bunch of free time tomorrow and a need to write some
code.

So, I want to make a widget that shortens URL's in an extendable
way... Im thinking of having something like:

trait URLReductionProvider { ... }

object TinyURL extends URLReductionProvider
object IsGd extends URLReductionProvider
object BitLy extends URLReductionProvider

You get the general idea...

So, im thinking of implementing the actual URL fetching stuff as a
partial function so that users could do:

def reductionResult = {
  case Full(result) => // result is the URL, insert into database etc
  case _ => // something went wrong
}

My question is however, if i make this actor based, could someone
implement it so rather than writing there URL to database in a
separate thread to the main one, would it be possible for them to say,
use a JsCmd and return that to update the browser? Im guessing not
unless it was a CometActor right.

This then got me thinking, do you guys thing this is worth doing actor
based, or is it just ok to make a blocking call to the provider?
(tinyurl or is.gd etc)

Cheers, Tim