I don't think it's necessary to make a final decision about your IDE
at any time. AFAIK, all major IDEs work quite well with Maven's pom
files, so it's very easy to switch IDEs at any time.

I for instance used NetBeans until last month, when JetBrains updated
their Scala plugin - then I switched to IntelliJ. The transition was
very smooth.

So start with any one of the IDEs, and once you've figured out what do
don't like about that very IDE, you can look around whether another
IDE might do it better.

And anyways, if there really was a "best" IDE, it would probably be
the only IDE (the causality goes both ways). It's always a matter of
needs, prior experience, taste ...

Best,
Clemens