Jai or just Java2D would work. I use JAI a lot at work (wrote a large-scale
image rendering and compositing application), so if you run into issues
there just ask.  JAI can be somewhat heavy if you have simple requirements,
so you could also just use the Image.getScaledInstance method, which is far
simpler. For example:

import java.awt.{Image,Tookit}

val imageData : Array[Byte] = ...

val scaled =
Toolkit.getDefaultToolkit.createImage(imageData).getScaledUInstace(width,
height, Image.SCALE_SMOOTH)

The final param controls which algorithm to use for scaling, so you can use
several as defined on the java.awt.Image class.

Derek