On Thu, Apr 16, 2009 at 10:40 PM, Sean Reque <seanre...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am a newcomer to Scala and Lift, and I plan on trying to figure out
> how to use either Buildr or Raven, to run Lift, and if I can
> successfully do so I will try to share my work. If I cannot, I will
> probably stop pursuing Lift and start looking at other areas of Scala.
> I say this simply to state you will drive many potential users of Lift
> away by enforcing the use of Maven without even giving sufficient
> documentation to allow other build tools to be used. I cannot see any
> productivity gain from any web framework over other existing
> competitors that could offset the productivity loss from using Maven.

Wow, strong words.  I'm wondering what it was about maven that caused this
productivity loss?  So far my shop has not run into this, in fact, we've had
the opposite vs. Ant.  Granted, Raven and Buildr are different beasts.

I posted a blog article earlier on how to use the scala maven infrastructure
+ the maven-ant-tasks to bootstrap a scala project.  I think the same would
be possible if you wanted to use Lift with ant, and (AFAIK) easier in Buildr
or Raven (as I believe they support Ivy/Maven repo materialization
directly).  Perhaps I'll spend some time and make an ant file that you can
raven-ify or buildr-ize.  What would you need to be able to get Buildr or
Raven up and working?

In the meantime, if maven is keeping you from contributing/working with
lift, then that's your loss.

-Josh