2009/4/22 David Pollak <feeder.of.the.be...@gmail.com>:
> James,
>
> This is an interesting idea that more than one person has expressed
> excitement about.  Jorge Ortiz (one of the Lift committers) was puttering
> around with the separation of Lift's templating from the rest of Lift.
> Personally, I think it's a pretty daunting task because a lot of the ways
> that Lift looks for templates and does its wiring and looks for snippets and
> generally re-writes the XML (e.g., to insert the Comet JavaScript), is woven
> tightly with the rest of Lift (e.g., LiftRules, LiftSession, etc.)
>
> I am in favor of something like this happening, but I really think it's
> non-trivial.
>
> Perhaps... just perhaps... we could do something where we put Java wrappers
> around some of the Lift-isms and use Lift as Filter in Java apps.  If you'd
> care to fork the Lift repository on GitHub and recruit a few others to help
> you, this could be an interesting side-project that, if successful, I could
> see as part of the main Lift distribution.

Cool thanks.

BTW I don't much mind about ripping the template stuff out of Lift
into a separate piece - I am totally happy to have
LiftRules/LiftSession, Comet et al there and to keep Lift intact.

I guess all I really want is a way to render a NodeSeq which can
contain <lift:surround> and other arbitrary snippets inside. So all I
really want is another entry point into Lift other than the
filter/servlet where somehow I can do something like this...

LiftServlet.render(xhtml:NodeSeq, out:OutputStream)

which delves into the internal Lift stuff I don't grok in between
LiftServlet and TemplateFinder and does all that cool magic :) I could
pass in a servletRequest/response too if that'd help make the
implementation easier. I realise this could be tricky though with all
that ajax stuff etc.

--
James
-------