The "Getting Started" document got me hooked on Lift.  :-)
I guess I'll report my struggles from there.  I don't know if what I did
is typical.

After actually running the two examples from the "Getting Started" docs,
I looked and found some other examples, did some looking around in the
mailing list archives and started reading the "Exploring Lift" book.
As a starting application of lift, I want to write a simple purchase
order tracking webapp.  It was easy enough to figure out how to hook up
PostgreSQL instead of Derby.  I started experimenting with the CRUDify
trait and got several tables working, but then I got stuck trying to
make a more cohesive app.  What I could not figure out was how to use
CRUDify's functionality without having to put all the options in the
SiteMap.  So I spent a lot of time trying to figure out the SiteMap
class.  I have since come to the realization that I probably shouldn't
be using CRUDify, as non of the examples actually use it.  I have also
realized that I should be putting rules in LiftRules.rewrite.

So, my point, I guess, is that it was never clear to me what request
rewriting was all about.  I didn't understand the explanations and
basically just skipped it and tried to do everything with SiteMap.
What I have taken away from this:  "Request Rewriting" sounds very
advanced and made me think of sendmail rewriting rules!  (Yuck!)
Maybe it would be good to have some blurbs on "Lift for JEE
developers".  What is the equivalent of mapping a URL to a servlet and
how do you deal with the URL pattern matching.  (I want to map "/foo/*"
to a some soft of action)

So that would then be a nice lead-in to coverage of net.liftweb.http.S,
right?

Anyway, back to API docs, it never occurred to be to look at the docs
for net.liftweb.http.LiftRules!  There are actually lots of comments
there.  The "rewrite" is kinda hidden there, so it probably should be
called out in the class docs.  Then for the actual "rewrite" docs, it
would be nice to give some examples of what should go in there or
provide a link to external docs showing the same.

How have other people tackled the learning curve of lift?

--Andrew