Examples, examples, examples, including scala.

The scala-lang site is a bit daunting. I think you'll get more
traction on Lift if you help people to get to grips with scala as well
as lift. I have no idea whether I'm a typical newcomer, but I have
come from Java (previously other things going back to pascal) but as
I'm not from a computer science background have no real knowledge or
understanding of functional programming. Lots of scala stuff is pretty
strange territory. People want a tool like Lift to do stuff quickly
and easily. I'm constantly having to reference my set of 4 books (3 of
which are pre-publication) just to get the "scala way" of doing
something simple. I think people should be strongly encouraged to
things they did to solve particular problems - not so much as an
example of best practice but more "I did it like this, is there a
better way?"

I personally find the discussions like the one on the scala user
mailing list  on treatment of enumerations in java vs scala useful and
interesting but they too often reference what to me are still esoteric
parts of the language that I have yet to master. So wiki pages where
you could have similar threads but with a culture of illustrating
every comment with a real example would be a great way to learn. I
suspect most people from my type of background are starting out by
writing java-style code in scala and are struggling with refactoring
it to more native scala. Somewhere we could put our fledgling code up
for constructive criticism without having to keep prefacing it with
"Newbie question: ...." would be good.

Tim