Hi Alex,

> Yes, I do get that and these are exactly the things I'm looking for in
> moving to OSGi.  However, as applications grow I think it's eventually
> necessary to modularize and isolate them so that changing something in one
> app doesn't affect another one.

Yes, you are right. But so far OSGi does not support the concept of an
application.

> Let's say I have 2 apps and I'd like one of them to run on Lift 1.0 and the
> other one on Lift 1.1-SNAPSHOT, how do you see this working?  In a typical
> J2EE webapp, these would be deployed as separate wars, each having a
> separate web context and isolated Lift core instances.

Two separate WARs means two separate applications which is not possible in
OSGi so far. We could try to tweak this, e.g. by using non-overlapping
version ranges on package imports. But currently Lift needs (evil)
DynamicImport-Package to properly resolve classes (e.g. Snippets) which
breaks version-based resolving. And there would be other issues, too.

This whole application and isolation stuff is currently investigated by the
OSGi EEG (enterprise experts group): Hopefully we will soon see a solution!

Heiko