I tried to get the sample at git://github.com/ymnk/lift-gae-api.git to
work, but
couldn't. Yes, I installed all the GAE jars in my local maven
repository,but  launching
with mvn jetty:run doesn't start up the App Engine, so I get the
following
exception:

Exception occured while processing /
Message: java.lang.NullPointerException
        com.google.appengine.api.users.UserServiceImpl.getCurrentUser
(UserServiceImpl.java:44)
        foo.snippet.HelloWorld.howdy(HelloWorld.scala:13)

because there val userService = UserServiceFactory.getUserService in
HelloWorld is null.

So, something is missing in the process - namely - getting Lift
working in the App Engine. I even
tried a different approach.

Using the following ant build.xml:

<project name="gae-test">
        <property name="sdk.dir" location="<local path to>/appengine-
java-sdk-1.2.1" />
        <property name="artifact_version" value="0.0.1-SNAPSHOT"/>
        <property name="target.war" value="target/${ant.project.name}-$
{artifact_version}"/>

        <import file="${sdk.dir}/config/user/ant-macros.xml" />

        <target name="datanucleusenhance" description="Performs JDO
enhancement on compiled data classes.">
                <enhance_war war="war" />
        </target>

        <target name="copy_war">
                <copy todir="war">
                    <fileset dir="${target.war}"/>
                  </copy>

        </target>

        <target name="runserver" depends="copy_war, datanucleusenhance"
              description="Starts the development server.">
                <dev_appserver war="war" port="8888" >
                        <options>
                                <arg value="--jvm_flag=-Xdebug"/>
                                <arg value="--jvm_flag=-
Xrunjdwp:transport=dt_socket,server=y,suspend=y,address=9999"/>
                        </options>
                </dev_appserver>
        </target>

        <target name="update" depends="datanucleusenhance"
              description="Uploads the application to App Engine.">
                <appcfg action="update" war="war" />
        </target>

        <target name="update_indexes" depends="datanucleusenhance"
              description="Uploads just the datastore index configuration to
App Engine.">
                <appcfg action="update_indexes" war="war" />
        </target>

        <target name="rollback" depends="datanucleusenhance"
              description="Rolls back an interrupted application update.">
                <appcfg action="rollback" war="war" />
        </target>

        <target name="request_logs"
              description="Downloads log data from App Engine for the
application.">
                <appcfg action="request_logs" war="war">
                        <options>
                                <arg value="--num_days=5"/>
                        </options>
                        <args>
                                <arg value="logs.txt"/>
                        </args>
                </appcfg>
        </target>

</project>

Running the runuser target creates a war directory in the root of my
project, similar to
what the GAE Eclipse plugin creates, and starts the App Engine, but
nothing else.
The application is not accessible from the URL http://localhost:8888.

Am I doing something completely wrong, here?

Glenn...