The default behavior is to look at for a snippets sub-package to any
packages you've configured for snippets, so yes, that's required if you're
using snippets. If you're not using a particular feature (i.e. snippets,
views, or comet) then the directory can be missing, I think. I can't
remember if there's anything special about the model subdirectory or if
that's just convention.

Derek