Hello guys,

I'm really new to lift application development, even if I try to follow
the framework evolution almost since it's start. I'm coming from
Tapestry 5 world, and so, I'm just discovering basic Lift features. For
now, I can say that there is really cool things here, things that Scala
make so simple, things in the AJAX land...

But  one of the things I really liked in T5 and miss a lot with in first
days of Lift is T5 awesome error reporting and early failure behaviour.

You know, for now I'm playing with little examples, trying to modify the
Pocket Change App of Lift book, this kind of things. And I have to say
that a lot of my try are not successful.
In T5, when something goes wrong, T5 takes me by the hand, show me the
piece of template where the error happens, the faulty code, and give me
advices on how to correct the problem. Moreover, T5 default behaviour is
to "fail early", so that less bad code is waiting for users to discover
it - developers get big exceptions that they can't honestly ignore.

There is (an really old) example of T5 error reporting here:
http://tapestryjava.blogspot.com/2007/09/itch-scratching-even-better-feedback.html
Now, the report is even better than that, especially when compond
components are involved.

There is an other example of enhanced error reporting, this time in the
console:
http://tapestryjava.blogspot.com/2008/12/exception-reporting-why.html

So, what the goal of the mail ? Well, just to bring the attention of
core team on how it's important and great to have good feedback from the
framework (error reporting, early failure) and I do believe that T5 is
"state of the art" in that domain... So if you look for inspiration, it
might be the good place to look at.

When I will be (if I become) more versatile in Lift, perhaps I would be
able to help improve in this domain, but for now, it's clearly out of my
reach :)

--
Francois Armand
http://fanf42.blogspot.com