Hi,

The default archetype (template) for lift project include lift-core as
dependencies.
lift-core == all lift artifact (jar in your case) and one of the artifact is
lift-xmpp (jabber). If you only want "minimum" then modify  the dependencies
section in your pom.xml (eg, for web only use lift-webkit)
see http://scala-tools.org/mvnsites/liftweb/index.html to have the list of
modules and some description.

/davidB