On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 12:10 AM, DFectuoso <santiago1...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm having a lot of trouble getting some code into production in my
> wiredtree VPS where i use apache and other stuff; so I decided to
> leave that host alone. I started playing with comet and some dispatch
> hacks that dont work on the GAE; so I decided to leave GAE alone.
>
> So I need a new hosting to run a couple of lift apps that I will be
> creating in the next weeks!
>
> I checked out SliceHost and it seems pretty cool, cheap and hard to
> configure, so...
>
> David said he prefers to use nginx and then jetty. I have no idea how
> to install, configure and deploy multiple apps in multiple domains in
> a webserver that only haves the OS installed(which I think is the case
> of slicehost).
>
> So, my first question would be if you know of a better hosting than
> slicehost.
> Anyway if I go with slicehost, what OS should I use?
> What do i need to install to have nginx and jetty running all the time
> with multiple apps and domains?
> How do I deploy? (ssh?, ftp? what?)

If you pull http://github.com/dpp/lift-samples/tree/master you'll find a big
tarball with a Jetty instance in it.  You can deploy your app by putting the
WAR file in the webapp directory (please rename it to root.war).  You can
start and stop Jetty with ./start_prod.sh and ./stop_prod.sh

This will give you a jetty instance running on port 9910.  To deploy apps,
scp the WAR file to your home directory.  ssh onto the box, cd into the
jetty directory.  Stop the server.  Copy the WAR file from your home
directory into webapp (remembering to rename it to root.war.)

In terms of going from raw box to box that has Nginx, Java, etc... you ssh
-AX into the box.  If you're running Ubuntu, you can install synaptic using
"apt-get install synaptic"  Once you've got synaptic installed, type
"synaptic" and you'll get a nice GUI package installer.  Make sure you
enable all the repositories (e.g., Multiverse, etc.).  Find the jdk-6 (or
jdk-1.6), NGinix, etc. packages and install them.  Create a non-root user
and add that user to the sudoers file.  Always log in via that user.

You'll have to wire up Nginx to proxy http requests to localhost:9910 to go
against your running Jetty instance.

You might also look at http://stax.net There are also providers or Tomcat
hosting and similar VPS for the JVM world that will make things a lot
easier.

Thanks,

David

Git some: http://github.com/dpp