Sam,

On Mon, Jun 29, 2009 at 1:49 PM, samreid <samrr...@gmail.com> wrote:

> My group may not be able to commit to Scala within the next year or
> so, so I have 2 related questions:

Bummer...

> (1) What's the best non-Lift framework?  We are leaning toward
> something on the JVM and I've heard David speak fondly of Wicket.

Depends on what you want to do.  For stateful web sites, I think Wicket's
the best choice.  I'm not sure about REST frameworks.

> (2) Is there any possibility of writing Java source to run under
> lift?  I'm finding it difficult to even create a NodeSeq from Java,
> and we may have to write Scala adapters to reach some of the Lift
> functionality.  I know this seems like an awkward approach (and
> probably some level of competence with Scala would probably be
> necessary in order to read docs, etc.), but this might be a way we
> could get the benefits of Lift platform without the costs associated
> with Scala.  Or would this be significantly worse than just picking
> another framework?

I would recommend picking another framework.  I'm not sure what you think
the benefits of Lift are (I have my list, but yours may differ), but I think
a lot of the value of Lift is based on Scala's Function and PartialFunction
classes.  It'd be hellish to replicate this functionality by hand in Java.

Thanks,

David

Git some: http://github.com/dpp