LiftSession is bound to HttpSession through HttpSessionBindingListener
and HttpSessionActivationListener

This means that when the HTTP session terminates LiftSession will also
terminate. To verify your SessionVar that the session was purged you
can implement

override protected def onShutdown(session: CleanUpParam): Unit = {

where in case of SessionVar the session parameter is really a
LiftSession.

The LiftSession timeout is given by
HttpSession.getMaxInactiveInterval ... if that period is exceeded the
LiftSession is unbound from the HttpSession. Does not necessary means
that the HttpSession is removed by container ust that LiftSession is
terminated.

But is the problem the fact that HttpSession expired but you still had
the context in the SessionVar?

Br's,
Marius