I looked at, and redownloaded specs-1.5.0.jar earlier in the process,
with no avail. However, last night I ran the tests as root, and after
downloading the world, they succeeded. So, I blew away my maven
repository, and ran the tests again, and they compiled and run
correctly. I don't know what was wrong in that repo, but it's fixed
now.

Thanks for your help

-Cale