On Jul 12, 9:16 am, TakeTheStage <forthepo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello, new to both Scala and Lift. After weighing several options,
> I've decided to create a new app using Lift, with GAE for hosting. As
> such, I chose Lift due to its support for concurrency, inherited from
> its Scala base.
> Ok, so I'm preaching to the choir.
> Here is my question: with the limitations imposed by GAE (no new
> threads) does Lift lose its scalability and concurrency advantages, or
> has David's alternate actor library (for Lift) taken care of this
> issue?

Not quite. LiftActors is still using Java threads via Java's executor
framework and in GAE you still can't use it AFAIK .Dave did not
replace ScalaActors with LiftActors except for a single place where
actors needed to be created and destroyed very often. And this happens
internally. CometActors are still Scala actors. If you can live
without Comet (and actors in general) and JDBC you can go ahead and
use GAE. Personally I would use http://stax.net/ ... no threading
restrictions and they provide MySql.