Sorry, I didn't replay earlier, but it turns out that the "operation
is not supported code: 9" error is related to the fact that the
default Google Analytics snippet uses document.write().  It turns out
that XHTML does not support document.write(), which causes Firefox to
chock.

Ultimately, I replaced the default Google Analytics snippet with this one:
<script src="http://www.google-analytics.com/ga.js"; type="text/javascript" />
<script type="text/javascript">
//<![CDATA[
    try { var pageTracker = _gat._getTracker("UA-4384857-1");
pageTracker._trackPageview(); } catch(err) {}
//]]>
</script>

A full write up of my experiences with Google Analytics and Lift can
be found here:
http://www.the-xavi.com/articles/operation-is-not-supported-code-9

~Xavi