As others have encountered before[1], MappedDateTime has some
limitations. Unlike others I'm not losing my time information: in my
MySQL database correct datetimes are stored. However, the datetimes
are in my local timezone, not GMT. I could change the MySQL timezone
but I'd rather not rely on that.

Given this and because I would like to store millisecond timestamps
and MySQL's native timestamp column type only stores timestamps to the
second, I figure using an unsigned BIGINT would be best. Assuming that
is a reasonable decision (please tell me if you think it isn't), what
is the best way to map to this database column?

One solution I see is to just use a MappedLong. However, then I would
have to manually convert to and from usable Dates and so on. I see
that Joda Time is a popular replacement for java.util.Date but I don't
know how to beginning using it as a MappedField. Could someone advise
me?

Finally, given the common need for timestamp fields, would it make
sense to create a MappedTimestamp MappedField? If so, how would I go
about doing this? As you can tell, I am quite new to Lift and Scala
but this would be a good way to improve my knowledge and to contribute
to Lift.

What do you think? I look forward to your thoughts!

Peter Robinett

[1]:
http://groups.google.com/group/liftweb/browse_thread/thread/a3755d82f28356ea/26111ea9748c0ffc