On Tue, Aug 11, 2009 at 6:09 PM, Meredith Gregory
<lgreg.mered...@gmail.com>wrote:

> Tim,
>
> i was under the same impression, but then read a couple of IBM comparison
> articles and a WSO2 blog and it seemed that the WSDL 2.0 was gaining ground.
> Further, the tooling for WSDL, with integration into all the major IDE's,
> has been significantly more developed than the WADL tooling. However,
> yesterday i tried a simple example with a schema-valid WSDL 2.0 xml document
> for a simple service with 1 operation and the Apache Axis2 tool barfed on
> the fact that the schema pointed to in the document was for WSDL 2.0 and not
> WSDL 1.1 -- despite the fact that they claim on their home page to support
> WSDL 2.0.
>
> For the record, WSDL -- as much as i hate it -- was not meant to be tied to
> a transport. As a matter of fact, neither was SOAP. You should be able to
> effect these over any transport, HTTP included, and presumably in more than
> one way. WADL is tied to HTTP. This means its scope is considerably more
> limited.

That's not really the truth. You could send an HTTP-request as the body of
an SMTP message. SOAP is just another envelope format, and if you need a
non-commodity parser anyway, why not build upon existing infrastructure?

I must honestly say that I've never felt good about using SOAP. Comparing
its merits and flaws it comes in heavy on the flaws and light on the merits.

But I'm just a weird guy with weird opinions...