Consider the basic book/author relationship described here:

http://wiki.github.com/dpp/liftweb/how-to-work-with-one-to-many-relationships

When dealing with the collection of Books for a single author I would
like to be able to refer to the author field on each book without
causing unnecessary database queries.  I can add a PreCache
(Book.author) query param to the MappedOneToMany declaration but that
really shouldn't even be necessary.

Obviously the author field for all of the Books in question will the
the top level object I am starting from.  I would think that this
could be filled in automatically by the underlying code when the
initial collection of Books is first instantiated.  Is there any
particular reason this isn't already happening?

-harryh