Aha,

It is a header problem.  If the charset is specified in the content-
type IE will pick the right encoding.  I added the following to my
Boot (I already had LiftRules.useXhtmlMimeType = false):

    LiftRules.determineContentType = {
        case _ => "text/html; charset=utf-8"
     }

Maybe this should be the default?