On Sun, Sep 13, 2009 at 10:52 AM, Josh Suereth <joshua.suer...@gmail.com>wrote:

> All,
>
> I write to you (unfortunately still) as a lift n00b.  I'm trying to modify
> a form such that it looks more "wizard" like.  i.e.  I want it to
> specifically state "You've completed part 1, you're on step 2 of 5", etc.
>
> How should I accomplish this in view-first rendering?  Normal MVC, I'd make
> one controll that redirects you to the appropriate wizard screen depending
> on what steps have already been accomplished (i.e. the controller figures
> out which step you're on and sends you to the appropraite view".
>
> In Lift, I'm thinking I have a few options:
>
> 1) Have my stateful snippet actually return the various pages in code.  I'm
> not happy with this, as my view would reside in the controller, but I could
> git'r'done this way.

Not really.  You can have the templates for each phase of the wizard be
separate files and use TemplateFinder.findAnyTemplate to load the template
for the step of the wizard that you're on.   This is akin to the
controller-first choosing a template.

> 2) Attempt to learn the lift-wizard library (is this stable/released?)

No.  I need (and have not found) 2-3 uninterrupted days to get it done.
Maybe next week (this week is JVM summit).  While I think this is Lift's
future, having a simpler set of tools for people to use (like Naftoli's
bind-o-matic thing) is great.  Give people a choice and let them use what's
best for them.

Git some: http://github.com/dpp